Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Time for Change

Today is the presidential inauguration, so I can't help but reflect back upon the past 8 years. In December 2000, just before George W. Bush was inaugurated, I had just graduated with my second Masters degree. I was filled with optimism and hope for the future. I never thought that I could calculate the gaps in my resume to discover that I'd only been able to work 65% of the time. When I do work, it's not as if I don't work my tail off. I get great references (in instances where the client is allowed to provide one). More often than not, I've had jobs where I've been unable to take a break for lunch. I've even worked a job where a typical (salaried) work week was over 100 hours.

Tomorrow's supposed to be be the start of a new era, however the realist in me knows that it's just another day. Each day I wake, hoping to see beginnings of the changes in motion. I wait, still, as without hope I have nothing.

No comments: